1070 Route 202/31   •    908-782-8536   •     Fax: 908-782-1967

Seal of East Amwell Township

Domestic Partnership

Couples wishing to register a Domestic Partnership must be of the same sex OR opposite sex who are both 62 years of age or older and provided that the couple meets the requirements.

* Same sex couples currently registered as Domestic Partners may enter into a Civil Union with the same person without terminating their Domestic Partnership first. If the Domestic Partnership was registered in New Jersey, it automatically terminates when the Civil Union is registered. If the Domestic Partnership was registered in another state, that state’s laws determine the validity of the Domestic Partnership.


To register a Domestic Partnership, the applicants must obtain an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership. The affidavit must be completed and signed by both applicants at the same time, in the presence of a notary public. The Affidavit does not have to be obtained (or filed) in the municipality in which the domestic partners reside.

Domestic partnerships are not considered registered until the Notarized Affidavit has been filed with a Local Registrar’s Office and the Certificate of Domestic Partnership has been issued.


Valid identification that establishes name, age and date of birth. Government issued documents including a certified copy of a birth certificate, driver’s license, military identification or state/county identification card.

Proof of residence. If residence is outside New Jersey, at least one of the applicants must provide proof of membership in a New Jersey State-administered Retirement System.

Proof of joint financial responsibility, such as a joint mortgage agreement or lease, joint bank account, joint ownership of a vehicle, or designation of one of the persons as primary beneficiary of the other’s will, insurance or retirement plan.

If either applicant was previously in a domestic partnership, dissolution papers which show it has been at least 180 days since the previous domestic partnership was terminated or a death certificate of the previous partner.

If either applicant was previously married, in a civil union or in a domestic partnership you must provide a divorce decree, dissolution papers or death certificate of most recent partner or spouse.

FEE: $28.00 check or cash at the time of application.