1070 Route 202/31   •    908-782-8536   •     Fax: 908-782-1967

Seal of East Amwell Township

Marriage/Civil Union Licenses


You may apply in the New Jersey municipality in which either applicant resides and the License is valid in any municipality in the State of New Jersey.

If neither of the applicants are residents of New Jersey, the application is to be submitted in the municipality where the ceremony will be performed and the license is only valid in the municipality where the ceremony will take place.

Be 18 years of age, except that applicants under the age of 18 may enter into a Civil Union/Marriage with parental consent. Applicants under the age of 16 must obtain parental consent and have the consent approved in writing by any judge of the Superior Court, Chancery Division or Family Part.

If you are having a ceremony outside of New Jersey, you must contact the State where your ceremony is taking place for information on how to obtain a Marriage License.


Proof of residency such as a Driver’s License, County or State I.D., or Utility Bill(s).

Identification - Birth certificate or a valid Passport.

If one or both applicants are divorced, had your marriage annulled, or you were in a former union and it was legally dissolved, bring a copy of the final decree(s) with you. If you were in a domestic partnership that was terminated please bring a copy of the termination.

Certified death certificate if one or both applicants are widowed.

You must know and provide your parents’ full names, including mother’s Maiden name, and birth place of each parent, only the state or the country if they were born outside of the United States.

The applicants should know the date of the ceremony, the municipality and County where the event will occur, and the name, address and phone number of the person performing the ceremony.

A witness that knows both applicants who is 18 years of age or older.

Social Security numbers.

FEE: $28.00 check or cash at the time of application.

Blood tests are no longer required in the State of New Jersey.


The recommendation is to come in at least two weeks before the ceremony.

If applying separately, the same witness must be present.

Once you fill out the application there is a 72 hour waiting period between the filing of the application and the issuance of the license. (Remember, we are closed on weekends, which means you must apply by Tuesday in order to pick up the license on Friday for a Friday night, Saturday or Sunday marriage).

The marriage license is good for 30 days from the date of pick up.

The East Amwell Township Registrar’s office is open 8:30a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Monday - Friday and 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Tuesday evening.

An application is available in our office (the form may be downloaded from the State website, www.state.nj.us/health/vital/index.shtml. You may fill out the application, but DO NOT SIGN the application.

The application must be signed in the presence of the issuing authority, while under oath. The License will be recorded in the town where the ceremony took place, and certified copies can be obtained from them also.

*It should be noted that federal agencies DO NOT recognize Civil Unions, and will not use a certified copy of a Civil Union as proof of name change. Federal Agencies include: Social Security and Passport Agencies.


Bring your marriage license. No waiting period required.