Earliest records of the Clawson farm mention a house on the property in 1810, when David Bishop, a veteran of the American Revolution owned the property and probably built the house. Architects and restorationists speculate that the house may older, perhaps dating to the 1780s.
The house is a typical center-hall colonial with a large room with a fire place to the left and two rooms to the right. In the late 1800s, these two rooms were “Victorianized” by the addition of a front bay window, pocket doors and heavy Victorian moldings. Upstairs the house has five rooms, the smallest of these once served as a nursery. Much of the original woodwork, doors, wide board flooring and hardware remain. The main staircase, all original, is particularly attractive. In the early 1900s the house was converted to a two-family dwelling, with the back expanded to include two kitchens, bedrooms and baths. Due to its poor condition, this addition was removed prior to renovation of the house, and a new addition was built.
The house has been restored and decorated to reflect the building during the period 1880-1920.