News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/7/2021 11:55:00 AM to 9/13/2021 2:33:11 PM.

News Flash


Posted on: September 7, 2021

[ARCHIVED] Mayor’s Update Regarding Federal Assistance to Residents Who Have Uninsured Losses from Ida Flooding

Mayor’s Update Regarding Federal Assistance to Residents Who Have Uninsured Losses from Ida Flooding

Thanks to efforts by Congressman Tom Malinowski, President Biden has approved a Major Disaster Declaration for Hunterdon County.  Basically this means that residents of East Amwell who have uninsured losses from the flooding caused by Ida, can apply for federal assistance to help cover those losses.

 Below is information I received this morning from Congressman Malinowski’s office, regarding the federal assistance and how to apply for it.

 If you have any questions, you can contact Congressman Malinowski’s office at (908) 547-3307.

 Finally, please obtain and retain receipts for any amounts you spend dealing with damage to your home and property caused by Ida’s flooding.  To the extent you qualify for federal assistance, you will need those receipts to help prove your losses.

 Stay safe.

Rick Wolfe

Mayor, East Amwell Township



NEW: FEMA Assistance is Available NOW



President Biden has approved a Major Disaster Declaration for Hunterdon and Somerset Counties, unlocking FEMA assistance for those affected by Tropical Storm Ida. Residents and business owners can begin applying for federal assistance here. Constituents seeking help accessing these benefits can contact our office by clicking here. Residents outside of Hunterdon and Somerset counties can visit here to report damages and learn more about the FEMA assistance to come.

Below, you will find the ways FEMA can help you through the aftermath of the storm. Please reach out to our office with questions or for assistance.

If you were impacted by the remnants of Hurricane Ida, click here to apply for FEMA benefits


How can FEMA help you?


Assistance from FEMA may help you and members of your household affected by a disaster take care of necessary expenses and serious needs that cannot be met through insurance or other forms of assistance. 


Individuals in Hunterdon and Somerset counties can apply with FEMA the following ways:

·     Apply online at

·     Through the FEMA App

·     Call FEMA toll-free at 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362) or (TTY: 800-462-7585).

Housing Assistance


Housing Assistance may provide financial or direct assistance, including:


Rental Assistance: Financial assistance to rent temporary housing while disaster-caused repairs are made to your primary residence, or while transitioning to permanent housing.


Lodging Expense Reimbursement: Financial assistance reimbursement for short-term lodging expenses.


Home Repair: Financial assistance for homeowners to repair uninsured home damage caused by the disaster. The assistance is intended to repair the home to a safe, sanitary and functioning living condition.


Home Replacement: Financial assistance for homeowners who must replace or rebuild their primary residence as a result of the disaster.


Direct Housing: In limited circumstances where adequate temporary housing resources are not available within a reasonable commuting distance, FEMA may provide a temporary housing unit directly to homeowners and renters.


Other Needs Assistance


Personal Property: Financial assistance to repair or replace common household items including, but not limited to, furnishings, appliances, essential tools and assistive equipment that supports daily living activities.


Medical/Dental: Financial assistance to pay for medical or dental expenses or losses caused by the disaster. This includes, but is not limited to, hospital and ambulance services, medication, and the repair or replacement of medically necessary assistive devices or technology.


Funeral: Financial assistance for expenses incurred due to a death or disinterment caused directly or indirectly by the disaster. Expenses include, but are not limited to, the cost of a casket or urn and funeral services.


Child Care: Financial assistance for increased child care costs as a result of the disaster. Eligible expenses include child care costs for children aged 13 and under and/or children with a disability, as defined by Federal law, up to age 21, who need assistance with activities of daily living.


Miscellaneous Expenses: Financial assistance to purchase specific items not owned prior to the disaster. They may include, but are not limited to, items such as a wet/dry vacuum, chainsaw, or a generator for a medically necessary device.


Transportation: Financial assistance to repair or replace a vehicle damaged by the disaster.


Moving and Storage Expenses: Financial assistance to temporarily move and store personal property from the damaged primary residence while repairs are made. Assistance may also be provided for moving essential household goods to a new primary residence.


Clean and Removal: Financial assistance for services to remove contaminants and disinfect surface areas of the home affected by floodwater.


Critical Needs: Financial assistance for applicants who have immediate or critical needs because they are displaced from their primary dwelling.


Eligibility Criteria for Housing and Other Needs Assistance

·    Your disaster losses must be in a Presidentially declared disaster area;

·    A member of your household must be a United States citizen, a non-citizen national, or a qualified alien;

·    You have necessary expenses or serious needs as a result of the disaster that are not covered by insurance, or you filed an insurance claim but your benefits are not enough to cover your expenses, or your damage was not covered by insurance or other sources

Additional FEMA Individual Assistance Programs


Crisis Counseling: Assists individuals and communities recovering from the effects of a disaster through the provision of community-based outreach and educational services.


Disaster Unemployment: Provides unemployment benefits and re-employment assistance services to survivors affected by a Presidentially-declared major disaster. These services are under the responsibility of the U.S. Department of Labor and administered by the State, Local, Territory, or Tribal government emergency management officials of the affected area(s).


Disaster Legal Services: Provides free legal assistance to low income individuals who are otherwise unable to secure legal services to meet their disaster related needs.


Disaster Case Management: Assists individuals with unmet needs caused by the disaster through the development and implementation of a Household Recovery Plan.


Partner Agency Assistance


To meet the needs of disaster survivors, FEMA partners with other governmental and non-governmental agencies.


FEMA works with the U.S. Small Business Administration to offer low-interest disaster loans to homeowners and renters in a declared disaster area. You do not need to own a business to apply for a disaster loan.


Learn more about applying for a disaster loan or about assistance available from other FEMA partners at:


I applied for assistance. Now what?


If you have insurance, you should file a claim with your insurance company when you apply for FEMA assistance. FEMA cannot aid with losses already covered by insurance. If your insurance does not cover all your losses or is delayed, you may be eligible for FEMA assistance regarding your unmet needs.


Once you apply for assistance, you can review your application on Here you can provide updates pertaining to your personal information and needs, view letters and messages sent to you by FEMA, upload additional documents to your file, and more. Realizing an online system alone may not meet the needs of survivors, FEMA also set up Documentation Drop-off Centers where survivors can apply for assistance, ask questions, have their documents scanned into their case file and returned to them on-site.


After you apply with FEMA, your request for assistance is reviewed to determine if an inspection is needed to verify disaster-related damage to your home and personal property. To protect the health of survivors and inspectors in a COVID-19 environment, as of June 2, 2021, FEMA will conduct exterior inspections until further notice.


Throughout the process, it is important to document all damages and repairs, and maintain this documentation for your and FEMA's records.



Facebook Twitter Email